Several Kent County law enforcement agencies have asked for the public’s help in locating suspects in a series of purse theft incidents.
Officers from the Kentwood Police Department, Wyoming Department of Public Safety, Grand Rapids Police Department, and Kent County Sheriff’s Office recorded nine incidents during the month of June 2021:
- June 13 at 4:40 p.m. in Wyoming
- June 14 at 12:10 p.m. in Kentwood
- June 21 at 12:10 p.m. in Kent County
- June 21 at 3:45 p.m. in Kent County
- June 21 at 12:27 p.m. in Grand Rapids
- June 22 at 6 p.m. in Wyoming
- June 23 at 1:10 p.m. in Grand Rapids
- June 28 at 2:35 p.m. in Kent County
- June 28 at 4:30 p.m. in Kent County
In each case, officers said the suspects targeted women over 50 with their purses in a shopping cart, walking alone in a parking lot.
They said the suspects took the handbags while the victims were not careful and fled.
In one case, the victim was carrying her purse in her hands and suspects removed it, officers said. She tried to chase after them but fell.
Officers provided photos of the suspects, as well as of their vehicle. They asked anyone with information to contact investigators at one of the four agencies, or Silent Observer:
- Wyoming: 616-530-7366
- Grand Rapids: 616-456-3380
- Kent County: 616-632-6125
- Kentwood: 616-656-6600
- Silent Watcher: 616-774-2345